RE: Camshafts

To: "'Op'" <oliverp@gte.net>,
Subject: RE: Camshafts
From: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 12:31:47 +1300
Thanks Oliver,

Where I'm coming from is that I'm happy with the power characteristics I
have (lots of torque, peak power of 120HP at the wheels@4200rpm), but as I'm
going to freshen up the heads, I'd like to figure out in advance whether
I'll be up for a camshaft swap at the same time. The history of my engine is
unkown, it's just as it came from a junkyard, but generally seems to be good
(doesn't burn oil, starts, runs and idles well, and the power at the wheels
is OK).

The thing that makes me wonder about the cam, is that I've observed (when I
had the rocker covers off and the engine running)that the pushrods rotate as
they actuate the valves. This is fine, as some degree of rotation is
designed into the system, but one pushrod spins round much faster than the
others, you'd think it was driven by a small motor!

Makes me wonder, but it could just be that the pushrod/lifter in question is
setup on the 'loose' side. Opinions anyone?

Simon