Re: Which heads to use on my 266 CI engine? -Reply

To: jimbb88@erols.com, zenkus@techmail.gdc.com
Subject: Re: Which heads to use on my 266 CI engine? -Reply
From: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:20:48 -0600
>Some thoughts, 300 heads will "overhang" the bore. .30 over Buick style
>pistons are available.

The overhang doesn't seem to be a problem in practice.  I'm told
350 Chev smog heads are this way too.

>If Olds pistons can be found .30 over, with Buick
>215 heads, you will have 10.75 : 1 compression & a strong engine, put
>170,000 miles on that combo & loved it.

I haven't seen any of those.

>For the cost of the 300 crank, pistons, etc, could you buy a 3.9 or 4.2
>Rover? Maybe a 4.6? Would these give you enough power?

Not that I've seen.  In the U.S., those motors only came in
Range Rover$ and they don't come cheap second hand.
Plus you're still limited by the heads.  If you put the 300
heads on a 4.6, you'll still need to change the pistons
to get the compression up.  Or you could weld up the
combustion chambers.

Dan Jones