Re[2]: Gas

To: "Richard B. Chianese" <Richard.B.Chianese@swpc.siemens.com>,
Subject: Re[2]: Gas
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:47:20 -0700
It is true, at least here in the San Francisco area. Across the street from
my daughter's high school (El Camino High), they're building a BART subway
station. They're spending billions (yes) on the subway extension from SF to
SF airport, half of it above-ground. Some of the right-of-way is along the
path of trolleys that went from SF down the peninsula via El Camino Real.
Although most of the tracks were paved over, much of it remained as a
reminder of a cheap, efficient transit system that was dismantled by
politicians.

We also had trains running across our SF-Oakland Bay Bridge, also
dismantled in favor of cars. A BART tunnel paralleling the Bay Bridge was
built later (for gazillions) to relief traffic congestion on the bridge.
The congestion is still there! Here in SF, we're building new trolley rail
lines. The younger generation thinks it's a new concept, but we used to
have rail criss-crossing SF.

Fred - So.SF
BADROC