Re: Gas

To: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Subject: Re: Gas
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 07:18:08 -0700
Back in the '30s there was a consortium of companies which included GM
and some of the tire and petroleum products companies which went around
buying up rail and trolley lines in a number of major cities all around
the country, and then closing them down. This increased people's
relinace on autos and bus lines, which (you guessed it) lots of
petroleum and tires and were of course built by GM. Taken in to court
for anti-trust and lots of other violaions, they were found guilty and
fined... $5,000. I think GM's president at the time probably wrote a
personal check to cover it.

So, there are a lot of things which can be blamed on "...the idiots in
government..." but not this one (at least not /totally/).

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA