Re: U20 prob cont'd (need help!)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, kyle@sonic.net
Subject: Re: U20 prob cont'd (need help!)
From: Eric Gustavson <egustavson@ultra.net.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:18:55
At 07:28 PM 23/04/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Alright - I'm starting to go SERIOUSLY nuts.

, I've been battling a shortness
>of breath in my '69 2000  (snip)-
> and
>took it for a final spin. WHAT THE?!?!?!  same **exact** symptoms.  Hmmm...
> must be the air cleaner element.
>Easy to test, I pulled the air cleaner lid and element and ran it up again.
> SAME THING.  GRRR!!!!  so, what's that mean?
>What's going on?
>
>Help?
>Kyle Hagemann
>Santa Rosa, CA 95401

Kyle,

Years ago I found a similar vexing problem on my 2000:

a small piece of paper towel (size of a fingernail) was caught inside the
fuel pipe inlet inside the tank.  I got it out by passing a wire back along
the fuel line from the junction at the tank.
problem fixed.
time: 2.5 years, after many other potential fixes that didn't work
(including the ones Bill Wessel has properly suggested).  I've got no idea
how long it had been there, but gasoline doesn't make paper fall apart like
water does so it could have been there for ages before I got the car.
Problem was, it only happened when the pedal was down for a while in 4th,
and that is usually bad for the licence.  Otherwise, the engine ran great.

As yours is a 69, you likely have the later carbs that do not use shims
under the needle & seat assembly for adjusting the float level, as Bill has
described.  The early solex carbs used this method.  The aluminum shims
came in at least 2 thicknesses (0.5 & 1.0mm?) for adjusting the level.

but, Tom's suggestion of blocked exhaust may be it.....

in sympathy,

eric in townsville
SRL311-00183 (lhd)
SP311-06003 (rhd)