Re: Z Concept - OT

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Z Concept - OT
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 10:38:58 -0800
STAN CHERNOFF wrote:

> A couple of points.
>
> First, the new Z car is not a "Concept" since it is close to the final
> production version.
>
> Second, Nissan said that the price would be under $30K.
>
> These comments were made by the big "boss", Carlos G., in an interview by
> CNBC at the Detroit car show yesterday.  There is a car that was displayed
> to the employees at Nissan headquarters yesterday.
>
> Stan

Well Mr. G's double talk notwithstanding, they are still choosing to call it a
concept car, even on their own websites so one can hope...

But I'm betting you're right Stan and this is going to be close to a production
car (unless they get the same kind of universally bad response they got with the
last Z concept, in which case they may delay release and try a new design). For
my money this thing is Ugly, really UGLY. And I do not see them actually selling
this car for under $30k, maybe a false "list" price but real sales, nah. And
even if they do, think of the costs for maintenance this car is going ring up.
20" 35 series tires, those aren't going to sell for $100 a piece. I just see
this as more of the same bad marketing as the last 300 but without the styling
of that car. The thing that made the 240 a hit was it was a cheap sports GT and
it good all around compromise car. No mega tech or leading edge anything on the
240, just a good combo of the same old stuff car makers had been doing for
years.

The current Silvia is much much better looking and has great performance. It
could be sold here for under $25k, probably under $20k! And it is a cool car
with style and performance. It is much closer to the Z than any of their
concepts.

Nissan says retro is dead, yeah right, someone should tell the rest of the world
that. What a bunch of lame, confused, fools.