Re[2]: Z Concept - OT

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[2]: Z Concept - OT
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 13:30:55 -0800
I just bought a Frontier Crew Cab with supercharger package (my '88 hauling
van died so I had an excuse for the wife). A lot of dealers had hefty
markups on them, because of "demand". Here's how the conversation would go
(an actual conversation at Serramonte Nissan):

Me: "I see you've got an $8000 markup on this truck. What's it for?"

Them: "It's for the extras. These trucks are really hot."

Me: "Looking at the sticker I see where all the accessories are accounted
for in the MSRP, so what does the $8000 dealer markup actually go for?"

Them: "Uh, for some extra stuff."

Me: "Well, no way I would pay that. When you can come back and give me an
explanation for each one of those dollars only then might I consider doing
business with you."

Salesman excuses himself, comes back in less than 1 minute.
Them: "The manager says you can forget about the $8000 markup, we can give
it to you for MSRP."

Me: "Sorry, no longer interested."

After checking a bunch of dealers in California I found some who don't play
this markup game, and got my truck at a savings under MSRP along with some
extras like accessories at their cost for a year. They told me that markups
are ridiculous but people do fall for it.

BTW I really like the PT Cruiser but my wife hates them and forbid me from
considering one. One daughter likes retro, the other daughter doesn't.
Personally I wish the new Z was more retro, it looks too much like a
Porsche silohette and isn't unique. And like Marc I wish they sold the
Sylvia here. Sigh...

Fred - So.SF