Re: Runnin Outta Gas

To: list roadster <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Runnin Outta Gas
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:53:34 -0700 (PDT)
Fri, 01 Jun 2001 11:34:49 Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com> wrote:
>...Lots of folks are starting to run into a lean-out condition like
>this, even with a stock engine and new stock needles. I am not sure
>why.
[...]
>All I can think of is that something they have done to the gas is
>causing the problem. I know that on my FI cars a change in gas
>formulation is very noticeable. When I drive down to SoCal, my cars
>always run worse on CA gas than they do on the OR gas. We get a
>different formulation up here. So I am wondering if one of the newer
>additives, like say the MBTE or other "oxygenators" is causing the
>fuel to act "leaner" somehow. Any chemists on the list that want to
>try and answer this? Anyone else got any ideas?

  I guess I'd be getting a bit off topic to Mike's original post, but
I also notice differences w/ gas. I picked up on it from my
motorcycling days. Petrochemist bikers said that the additives between
*brands* DO make a difference, so once you've found the brands that
work right for your vehicle , stick to 'em! I was always nervous about
using Shell gas in Calif, as we don't even have 'em out here.
  I'm pretty much guaranteed a full tune up if I stick a tank of
Conoco gas in my roadster. I'm 3-for-3 tanks-to-tuneups on Conoco.
  I hear you Californian's might get some of our midwest [political]
pork too - ethanol blend. Haven't had that much trouble with it on my
roadster, but my m-cycle hated it. It'd start knocking and missing
before even leaving the gas station. Never had a problem w/ MTBE i n
either.
  I also noticed a HUGE difference the one time [my son] put mid-octane
(87 up here) gas in.. missin' and phartin'.. That was one unhappy
roadster!

Dan Neff    '69 2000
Colorado Springs, CO
ww.wycroc.org