Re: Runnin Outta Gas

To: "Marc Sayer" <marcsayer@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Runnin Outta Gas
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 09:29:48 -0400
Marc,

You are on the mark regarding the problem. I have a book on SUs that goes
into detail regarding the reprofiling of needles to each engine's needs. He
also discusses piston spring rates and other modifications. I highly
recommend the book which is "How to Build and Power Tune SU Carburettors" by
Des Hammill. I bought it from Classic Motorbooks.

For now I will try the idea suggested by Mike to make sure that it is indeed
a needle profile problem and not some other problem with the fuel system
such as fuel delivery.

As you suggested I advanced my base setting to about 18 degrees advance and
checked the advance of the distributor by making additional marks on the
crankshaft pulley. While not super accurate it is fairly accurate and saves
me an additional cost until I can find someone who owns one.

BTW, I did some digging into all my extra SU parts and found that 2L SUs
came with 2 different piston springs, 1 set being about 1" longer than the
other. In comparision the 240 springs are about 1" shorter and 1600 springs
are almost 1.5" shorter. At the same given height they all exert a different
force to the piston.

In the book, Des recommended the first change to make is the spring rate. I
will try the various springs and see what happens. The stronger the spring,
the leaner the needles can be. And vice versa. A weaker spring will permit
quicker acceleration and more throttle response but the needles have to be
richer.

 I may be learning more about SUs than I care to. I just want to go out and
play :(

Mike