Re: I'm a dummy and I hate the electric fan

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I'm a dummy and I hate the electric fan
From: Tom Stockman <ftuck@frii.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 21:01:29 -0600 (MDT)
slick1 reveals...

> 212 is boiling.

Good point!  I'll turn stickler & point out that the biggest reason
cars first went to pressure caps on radiators is that pressure raises
the boiling point, so you'd avoid failure of the cooling system, but
still, under normal pressures that's maybe 220, 230...don't remember
exactly...and anti-freeze/coolant help raise it to those levels.

Still, that's too hot. Don't recall what these cars like, it's something
like 185-195.  At 200 you'll be approaching increasing pre-ignition, aka
engine knock, though this will can be influenced by advancing the timing;
advance it enough for less knock & higher performance & you'll tear
up the engine badly.  The more temps go up, the more knock & loss of
power, and you'll start to boil through the expansion tank overflow
tube.

Adam, methinks you'd be well served by another check of just how hot
you're running, after you replace that thermostat & bring your cooling
system up to health.

I see a chance that you'll replace the thermostat, make sure you're
running enough antifreeze, reverify your new normal running temp,
and discover you have a healthy car.  Also, a chance that you'll do
those, find that you occasionally overheat, but consistently lose
coolant...in which case, return to former pessimistic ideas about
head or gasket problems blowing compression into the water-jacket...

Also...if you're running 215, you're knocking, experiencing no
power, with coolant likely barfing out that overflow tube (even
though your head temp @ sender is 215, somewhere else in that beast
it's a lot hotter), and you're experiencing some panic about thinking
it likely you'll not get home without a tow & severe engine damage.

At least, that's what happens at 8000 ft+ in the Rockies...and I am
speaking from experience here...

Let us know...luck!

Tom in Morrison
'67.5 1600, 300K+ (new head at 240K)