RE: a few quirks (read: problems)

To: "Christopher Dunn" <christopher-dunn@home.com>,
Subject: RE: a few quirks (read: problems)
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 13:17:35 -0400
I had 157 emails this morning so forgive me if I wasn't paying attention but
if your temp gauge isn't working make sure you check the ground at the
sender (with a volt meter).  The sender is supposed to ground to the
head/block through the t-stat housing.  On the 2L cars this is often a
problem because of dissimilar metals and to much gasket sealant on the
gasket between the t-stat housing and the head which insulates the housing
causing no ground.  Corrosion is also a problem.  These issues could affect
the 1.6L as well.  On mine, I ran a wire from the sender body (kind of
around the hex - not off of the terminal that goes to the gauge) to a known
good grounding point.  Haven't had any problems with the gauge since.
The voltage regulator for the gauges could be a culprit as well - I think
someone already mentioned that.
Brian