Back to the "OT" discussion

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Back to the "OT" discussion
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:27:59 -0700
List,

I am sure this is going to raise the same response that it did the last time
a new Datsun Roadster discussion was created. Some people got upset while
others took it in stride. The only thing that really grabbed my attention in
this case was the phrase "by invitation only".

As a Datsun Roadster owner, I have often asked people who drive 510s why
they don't invite us to join them on their runs or meets. Their answers are
almost always the same: "Roadster owners are snobs." Now I know for a fact
that not all roadster owner are snobs, but once again I read a "let's have a
strictly technical discussion list and can all the socializing." Worse, I am
now reading a "let's have a technical-only discussion group and only invite
technical people to join."

Let me clue in the "technical only crowd". There are not enough "technical
only" people that own roadsters to support the cars. I am not an overly
technical owner. I know some things and yes, I would like to ask technical
questions of people who are more knowledgeable than I, but I also love the
social aspect as well. I want to share stories and events and fun and
experiences.

If I need an invitation to join the technical only list, count me out.
Elitism and "roadsters only" only facilitates the image that we are snobs.
So if you don't want to read off topic posts (like this one) then please
exercise your right to delete them.

I need technical help. I like to socialize. Please don't make me do time
because I don't know as much as you do about the technical aspects of the
cars.

Andrew Murphy
1964 1500
1967 2000 Solex