Re: exhaust over rear axle-stupid question???!!!

To: slick1@mohaveaz.com, christopher-dunn@home.com, datsunmike@nyc.rr.com,
Subject: Re: exhaust over rear axle-stupid question???!!!
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:38:09 -0400
I had a number of exhaust configurations on my roadster and on a 66 Mustang.
  The Mustang first had glass packs bolted to the headers - nothing else.
It was VERY loud (sounded cool though in a High School hot rod kinda way)
It was deafening when the glass pack rusted through.  The Roadster had a
header with a straight pipe going back over the rear axle and then a
resonator.  One day the pipe that snaked over the axle slipped off and it
was like driving a NASCAR racecar it was so loud.  I had the hardtop on and
it was much louder than the old Mustang when it lost the glass pack.  Owners
of Cobras that have side pipes often wear earplugs to prevent losing
hearing.  Owners of GT-350s (early cars with the foreward exhaust with glass
packs) often complain about the sound - owners of later cars with the rear
exhaust don't.  It is really all what you want.  It will likely be much
louder than you expect.

Sid