Re[2]: Tonneau Cover Question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, "Grant Bush" <gbush@connect.ab.ca>
Subject: Re[2]: Tonneau Cover Question
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:52:13 -0700
Grant,

Try this alternative folding method:

Start removing the ragtop in the normal way. Undo the clamps at the
windshield bow, undo all the snaps and twistys along the bottom edge,
remove the clamps at the doorjamb behind the seats, and slide the rear bar
from the teardrop hooks.

Hold the rear bar area, and swing the rear window portion of the ragtop up and
over the top of the roof. The crease will be above the window area. Now swing
the side window portions (sideways) up and over the top, with the crease between
the side window and the rear window.

Undo the two sets of snaps fastening the ragtop to the last crossbar of the
frame. (Not every top has snaps, some are sewn on, some have velcro.)

Now gently ease the whole assembly down into the rear shelf area, with the
ragtop windows in a vertical position. The metal frame and the non-window
portion of the ragtop will fold like an accordion into the storage area, and the
ragtop window portion will lay over the rest. The two metal clamps can be laid
down ahead of the window material so they won't scratch it.

You'll find that you can compress the ragtop down more tightly than with the
normal method, prior to covering with a tonneau cover. An additional bonus is
that the windows won't get flexed or scratched as much, and you can toss stuff
on the rear shelf without hitting the window material.

I adopted this method because I have rollbars in my cars, but it should work as
well in all cars.

Fred - So.SF
BADROC