Head's off, broke a head bolt

To: datsun <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Head's off, broke a head bolt
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:42:27 -0700 (PDT)
The head's off but the #1 head bolt broke off about 1/2" above the
block.  Need advice on removing without damaging the block and
preferrably without towing it to a machine shop or pulling the engine.

The top of the engine is stamped "4" in front of each cylinder (on
driver's side).  Do you know if that means anything?

The head looks OK except a very minor amount of water passage damage
where the thermostat sits.  Hopefully it will check out OK.  I'm
carting it up to Mike Young's place this weekend for him to look at and
to buy all the parts I need to put it back together.

I know it's been posted before, but what should I use to clean the top
of the engine?  Any other advice now that the head's off?

Thanks,
Adam
'70 1600
http://buzz.yahoo.com/