Re: Head's off, broke a head bolt

To: "C. Halsted" <chalsted@nycap.rr.com>, Sexmnypwr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Head's off, broke a head bolt
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:00:07 -0700 (PDT)
I was just reading online about easy-out and the general impression I
get is that they break off easily and machine shops hate you for
getting them stuck in there once you bring the block to them.

I tried a set of "stud puller" sockets that would grab on but didn't
turn the bolt.  Like the vise grips, it just slowly spun around the
broken bolt.

I've been told try penetrating oil, whack it lightly a few times to
loosen any grime helping to hold it in place, and heat the block to try
to work it free.  If that doesn't work I guess I'm pulling the
engine...
maybe it's time for that 1600 stroker after all!  At least the head
looks good (to me).

Adam
temporarily disabled '70 1600

--- "C. Halsted" <chalsted@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a 1600 block that the bolt broke off even with the surface of
> the
> block. I drilled it, used an easy-out, and the easy-out snapped off
> level
> with the top of the block also. where do I go now?
>
> Craig Halsted

=====
Adam
'70 1600 SPL311-28181