RE: Fluid questions...

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: RE: Fluid questions...
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:02:52 -0800
If one is available, I would suggest looking for a new clutch master
cylinder.  I believe high windshield cylinders are still available from your
friendly Nissan dealer, or through our vendors.  I don't know about the
availability of low windshield cylinders.

Unless you plan to reline your current master cylinder body you are most
likely not going to like the results of a rebuild.  Your current MC body is
made of aluminum and cannot stand ANY honing of the bore, and may have
already worn beyond acceptable limits at this point.  When I installed the
new master cylinders in my car I kept the old cylinders, with unused rebuild
kits, for the day when I need to have the old cylinders relined for use as
replacements.

The rebuild kit itself is not bad to install, and if you are willing to have
a MC body relined with either brass or stainless steel you should not have
too many problems reassembling the piston assembly to end up with a MC that
will last for a very long time.

My links page has a link to at least one company who relines no longer
relines hydraulic cylinders.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland