Re: [Roadsters] Bent center link - what metal to fabricate a

To: <nmleeds@mindspring.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Bent center link - what metal to fabricate a
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:18:07 -0400
Thought I'd jump in on this thread.

This is a stout piece of metal, and unless the front end of the car was
damaged in an accident, the bend was undoubtedly the result of a wheel
impact.  That kind of jarring impact could have damaged other parts in the
steering train.  I'd recommend inspecting ball joints, side rods and ends,
idler, and the steering box as well.  The cost of a gasket kit for the
steering box is a small price compare to the consequences if you loose
steering at speed.

Since you said the tie-rod ends are good, you've got three options - one,
buy a new one from Rallye, without ends for $50.  Two, inquire on the list
for a good used one off a parts car ( price accordingly relative to new).
Three, take it off the car, heat it cherry red at the bend with a oxy/ac
rosebud, and bend it back straight, then let it air cool - DO NOT use any
liquid to cool.  If the bend is near the threaded portion at either end, use
options one or two.  Wouldn't have to be dead straight, since the rod ends
are adjustable.  After replacing it, get the alignment and toe-in set.

Mark Sedlack
ZROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH
66 1600 http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/