fot

Re: 2001 Triumph Odyssey

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2001 Triumph Odyssey
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@mailhost2.planet.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:56:39 +0000
Leon wrote:
> FWIW, if you want to go to Le Mans in your cars, I suggest you ship them to
> the UK first, then take a short, relatively cheap car-ferry crossing across to
> France, because UK Customs will be very much faster and less problematic than
> the French equivalent, how that nation loves bureaucracy! It is after all, a
> French word!

Ditto Leon's comments and IF you ran into any problems,
at least you speak the same language (more or less:-) in
the UK than in France.

Having recently made the UK to LeMans trip last April, I can
offer the following:

You can also do the chunnel thing...although I will say it
is a rather disappointing experience...but you can at
least say you did it.  We arrived at the chunnel about
Noon on a Saturday and we were in France within 1.5 hours
from the time I pulled up to the UK toll plaza.  Once
on the French side, you can make it to LeMans in
a straight shot.  Once in France got a bit disorganized and wasted
an hour or more trying to change some Pounds for Francs,
but with the Eurodollor, maybe that won't be an issue at all.

I'd say that if you made the crossing early on whatever day so that
you were in France by Noon, you could be at LeMans by
evening in one shot.  We went through LeMans in April during
the 24 Hour Motocross race (only uses the track circuit, no
public roads).  As we were heading south from LeMans I
suddenly realized the sign south was to Mulsanne and...YES!!
the road I was driving on was actually the Mulsanne straight...
what a thrill just to know that and think about all the great
cars and drivers that previously drove the stretch of road.

>From the crowds that were there just for the bike racing, I'd
say getting a room anywhere near LeMans on the 24 Hour race weekend
would be impossible unless arranged WAY AHEAD.

Anyway, just a few comments...and yes, I'm interested too.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl