fot

Re: 2001 Triumph Odyssey

To: rem9@cornell.edu, "'Amici Triumphi'" <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: 2001 Triumph Odyssey
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:05:16 EST
In a message dated 11/01/99 19:24:42 GMT, you write:

<< list:

 Any info on what a "reasonable" motor rental might cost for say 1 or 2
 weeks taking into account any insurance needs?

>>>Whilst I try not to rent cars here in my home country, it's not because of
the cost, but rather that I try to ensure that at least one of my cars is
actually running when I need a car!!! However, what I can say is that car
rental (or hire as we say)
is very much less expensive than it is in the USA...which is why I try and
borrow cars in the USA rather than rent them whilst there!!! (and then I might
get a Triumph too!)...the best way for you to find out the cost of car rental
in the UK is to get a hold of a holiday broucher from a travel agent in the
USA, and look at the back to see if they mention car rental in the UK, with
typical model sizes and representative prices. That is what I do when I travel
in the direction of the USA, at least to get some idea before I leave...
Rental companies here always seem to have a good selection of almost new cars
available.

Also, are there any things
for the inexperienced traveler (me) to be aware of beside driving on the
off side of the highway?

>>>"It ain't no big thang", although in my experience most of my american
friends seem to have difficulty with 'roundabouts' or rotaries if you prefer.
We don't have turn right on red, Red means STOP.nothing else.
We are not supposed to overtake on the left (inside).,although it happens.
And please please look in the right direction when pulling out, both when
driving and even more so, when a soft pedestrian.
Due in part to our speed limits, traffic here doesn't generally flow quite as
smoothly as in the USA, although IMHO, the standard of driving here seems a
little higher than in the USA, but not quite as good as in Germany, although
it's still a damn sight better than say France or Belgium...I won't even
mention Africa!!!
Remember too that despite the apparently small size of this island nation of
ours,
it will take you roughly 3 to 4 times longer to cover the same distance as in
the USA, or longer if you venture out at  the wrong time, ie: Friday nights
from 3pm-9pm almost anywhere, and approaching London after 3pm to 1am on a
Sunday afternoon onwards.

More concerned with things like drivers licenses,
>>>(I think you can drive here on your American licence)

insurance coverages, what if there's an accident, etc.
>>>(depends on your individual coverage, best call your company and find out)

Has anyone taken a car over before and is it more of a problem than it's
worth? I would hate to have an over ambitous customs inspector cause me to do
yet another ground up on a vehicle I already restored.
>>>Lots of cars travel over the pond, in both directions constantly, but I am
afraid I cannot advise you on the logistics, surely someone out there in one
of the clubs has done it all before ? There are always lots of cars at
Goodwood from the USA.

Also a concern, if we come with old British lumps, will they allow us to
leave with them? Right!
Russ Moore >>

>>>Yes, I think the car has to be over 50 years and of particularly historic
importance before they prevent its export from the UK, and Triumphs aren't
quite there yet awhile, but as for getting it back into the USA ??? Best to
check that one with your own customs people 'before' taking it out !!!

Good Luck
Leon F Guyot
Triumph Sports Six Club International Liaison Secretary/Director.
81-2119
63 Vitesse 2 Litre Convertible (modified)
69 GT6+ (original)