fot

Re: 2001 Triumph Odyssey

To: ko3@columbia.edu, "'Amici Triumphi'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2001 Triumph Odyssey
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:05:24 EST
In a message dated 11/01/99 21:16:34 GMT, you write:

<< Subj:         Re: 2001 Triumph Odyssey
 Date:  11/01/99 21:16:34 GMT
 From:  ko3@columbia.edu (Kevin  O'Driscoll)
 Sender:        ko3@columbia.edu
 To:    rem9@cornell.edu (Russ Moore)
 CC:    fot@triumph.cs.utah.edu ('Amici Triumphi')

 FOT's
 Renting basic transport in the British Isles will set you back
 significantly more cash than in the USA (about twice the US rates).

>>>I shan't argue with you, but it's odd that I found the exact opposite don't
you think ? I guess the rental companies have lots of deals, depending on
which type of car you rent, how long you take it for, where you want to return
it to, how many miles you want to cover/ unlimited mileage etc etc.

Also, don't count on getting a gas guzzling SUV over there, which reminds me
 warn you about high petrol prices...

>>>True at 5.80 USD/US Gallon right now.

 Make reservations early if you are  traveling in the summer,

>>>Summer ? When is that, exactly we haven't had one since August/Sept 97.
It rained the whole of 1998, and has now stopped raining, but only because it
is snowing!!!

availability is limited.

>>>Not in/around London it isn't, there is plenty of competition, but book
ahead if it gives you more confidence,and yiu can pick a car up from the
airport if you book ahead, which can be very useful, but don't drive far with
jet-lag.

US drivers license and  Passport (both valid) is all you need. Definitely get
the insurance, if  you've never driven the backroads in Europe, they are alot
more narrow and twisting than is typical of US roads.  Re: driving on the
left, it does
 take a little getting used to especially when turning in an intersection
 you may find yourself heading up the road on the wrong side, but you'll
 adjust rapidly.  Warning:  Watch those roudabouts and stay out of Central
 London if you know whats good for you. Never taken a car from US, plenty
 of ferry and chunnel possibilities for the Continent however.
 -Kevin

>>>I agree with everything else entirely.
Best Regards
Leon