fot

Re: 2001 Triumph Odyssey

To: Russ Moore <rem9@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: 2001 Triumph Odyssey
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:48:10 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Russ Moore wrote:

> list:
>
> Any info on what a "reasonable" motor rental might cost for say 1 or 2
> weeks taking into account any insurance needs? Also, are there any things
> for the inexperienced traveler (me) to be aware of beside driving on the
> off side of the highway? More concerned with things like drivers licenses,
> insurance coverages, what if there's an accident, etc. Has anyone taken a
> car over before and is it more of a problem than it's worth? I would hate
> to have an over ambitous customs inspector cause me to do yet another
> ground up on a vehicle I already restored.

Driving in the UK should not be a problem. I have rented cars and only
had to show my current driver's license... I can't comment about bringing
a car over, but I imagine you'd have to get it MOT'd at the minimum - the
equivalent of a good safety inspection in some states.

As for bringing a car over driving it around and bringing it back - it
should be doable, but I'd figure at a min. around $2k in costs, exclusive
of insurance and petrol (at roughly $3.50 per gallon last time I was
there). I would think insurance might be important but I have no idea of
cost.

> Also a concern, if we come with old British lumps, will they allow us to
> leave with them? Right!

Well, there is this lingering issue of a certain group of, um, err,
Bostonians about 220 years ago and some sort of water/tea emulsion and
how it all related to taxes... but, nah - our English friends wouldn't mind!

;-)

> Russ Moore

Now, I'll point out that some of our cars might be pretty vaulable in the
UK, so one thing that could be done is to ship the car over and then sell
it once there (after you've driven it around the countryside, of course).
This would certainly cover some of the costs - but I wouldn't do a frame
up and then bring the car over hoping to make a profit... although you
may come close... I actually considered this a few years ago.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |