fot

Re: FW: early 70's America Road Race of Champions poster

To: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: FW: early 70's America Road Race of Champions poster
From: bwarner@mediaone.net
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:59:00 -0500
Richard Taylor wrote:

> At 08:38 PM 1/23/99 -0500, bwarner@mediaone.net wrote:
> Bill Warner wrote:
> >Richard:  I thought I may have had you beaten.  I ran my Brabham BT-8 at
> >Road Atlanta in 1979.   I believe it was the first vintage race there.
> >Hard to believe it was 20 years ago, except when I look in the mirror.
>
> Bill:
> You da Man! I just went back to my files and douple checked race entries
> and my first vintage car race was in 1980.  I had been racing motorcycles
> at Road Atlanta since about 1971 and I simply wasn't very careful in
> discriminating dates.  Sorry.
> However, vintage racing since 1979 has got to put you in some pretty thin
> ranks of vintage veterans.  If you are not the Vintage Meister, who is?
> Richard Taylor
Not only am I in some thin ranks, my hair is getting thin, too....but
who wants fat hair...yuk, yuk, yuk.  Currently running the Group 44
TR6.  Had to get in something that was safer and easier to repair.  The
Brabham was fun, but I would hate to think of having an accident in it.
Also, vintage events have changed.  Everyone builds a 911 and calls it a
"vintage" race car.  It may be a "vintage" car but it probably did not
race 'til last month.  Keep the faith, and come to the Amelia Island
Concours on March 21.  Lots of neat cars and neat people.  Carroll
Shelby is the honoree,   Bill