fot

Re: Diff Differences...

To: Malaboge@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Diff Differences...
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 12:28:54 EST
Nick:

Except for about eighteen months in the mid-1970s, my TR3 has been a RACE CAR
all its life.  I have logged about one hundred and seventy-five events myself.
The car came with a Detroit Locker and a 4:1 ring and pinion.  It is an
incredible piece of equipment. I understand it was developed for a light
truck, so it is VERY stout.  A couple times each year it will make a noise
like the rear end fell out, that is because it is mechanical, and has no
clutches.  But when we take it apart and examine it, it still looks like brand
new.  I can't believe it.  I love it.

Last year we won the E-Production part of SVRA's BADGER 200 at ROAD AMERICA.
Don't be impressed...two hundred miles is a long way, and we just broke later
than everyone else.  While we were still running at the end, we had a broken
ring and pinion.  Again, when we rebuilt, we found the Locker was just fine.

Bob Wismer and I are running a Quaiffe in the Thunder Bolt.  It is similar,
and smoother.  It is more modern, and has clutches.  I am sure it is easier on
the drive line.  We like it, but have not run it long enough to judge its long
term dependability, and based on my TR3's experience, how important can that
be?

Last summer we set up two more axles...a 4:55 and a 3:73.  The 4:55 has a
locker in it, and the 3:73 is welded.  I know the vast majority of old TR
racers will tell you a welded rear end is 'the way to go' (and that is based
on economies), but I can't subscribe to that.  All you have to do is push a
car with a welded rear end around a parking lot to decide a 'Locker or
Quaiffe' is money well spent.

Bill Dentinger

Last year we se