fot

Re: Diff Differences...

To: Malaboge@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Diff Differences...
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:07:10 -0700 (MST)
I ran a locker in The White Car, a solid axle TR4A autocrosser.  The Killer
Spit has a Quaiffe.  Wish I had experience with the different types in the
same car.

The locker makes a lot of noise at times, but works well.  At a divisional
up in Idaho a few years ago, the car was behaving quite strangely.  It was
very squirrelly when power was applied, and making even stranger nises than
usual.  Turns out I had sheared one of the hub keys, but thanks to the locker
I was still getting power to the ground from the other wheel.  Of course, I
was trounced by some local guys who were usually a few seconds behind me.  Not
my best ever event.

The Quaiffe is much quieter, smoother actuation, and similar results.  It can
allow some slippage at times, unlike the locker which locks ;-)  My nod is
to the Quaiffe for better driveability.

mjb.