fot

Re: Barrett-Jackson Auction

To: John Lehman <JELehman@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Barrett-Jackson Auction
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:38:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, John Lehman wrote:

> I was in  Phoenix for business last week and managed to take in
> Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction on Friday.  I didn't know what to expect but
> was surprised to see no Trs at all.  (The catalogue listed one Tr-4, but I
> didn't see it.) What do you suppose that means?  All Triumph owners know
> what they have and are hanging on to their cars? There is no market for Trs?
> B-J is the wrong market for Trs? Or what?!

I'm happy for you that you were able to see this event first hand. I
understand that B-J is quite the event.

But...

<rant mode on>

Based on what I saw on the tube Friday night, if you marketed a Trimph
car as a "hot rod" of some sort - you'd probably be able to sell at B-J.

Frankly, the classic car movement is moving in the wrong direction.
Unless you think that cars that they made more of in _one day_ than all
of a particular model of Triumph or MG or whatever are classic or rare
for some reason.

I think the terms "marketing" and "hype" apply to B-J. I think "rare" and
"desireable" were completly over used in the TV coverage of the event.

Sorry - some people have too much money nowadays.

$60k for a freakin' 57 Chevy??? You could build one from scratch for less
money. Oh well.

Me, I'll stick to Triumphs.

<rant mode off>

> John

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |