fot

Re: Barrett-Jackson Auction

To: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Barrett-Jackson Auction
From: bwarner@mediaone.net
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:53:12 -0500
Bob Lang wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, John Lehman wrote:
>
> > I was in  Phoenix for business last week and managed to take in
> > Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction on Friday.  I didn't know what to expect but
> > was surprised to see no Trs at all.  (The catalogue listed one Tr-4, but I
> > didn't see it.) What do you suppose that means?  All Triumph owners know
> > what they have and are hanging on to their cars? There is no market for Trs?
> > B-J is the wrong market for Trs? Or what?!
>
> I'm happy for you that you were able to see this event first hand. I
> understand that B-J is quite the event.
>
> But...
>
> <rant mode on>
>
> Based on what I saw on the tube Friday night, if you marketed a Trimph
> car as a "hot rod" of some sort - you'd probably be able to sell at B-J.
>
> Frankly, the classic car movement is moving in the wrong direction.
> Unless you think that cars that they made more of in _one day_ than all
> of a particular model of Triumph or MG or whatever are classic or rare
> for some reason.
>
> I think the terms "marketing" and "hype" apply to B-J. I think "rare" and
> "desireable" were completly over used in the TV coverage of the event.
>
> Sorry - some people have too much money nowadays.
>
> $60k for a freakin' 57 Chevy??? You could build one from scratch for less
> money. Oh well.
>
> Me, I'll stick to Triumphs.
>
> <rant mode off>
>
> > John
>
> regards,
> rml

> Bob Lang                Room N42-140Q          | This space for rent.
> Consultant              MIT Computer Services  |
> Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |

Actually, having been there and seen that having money is no guarantee
that you have good taste, dropping a 426 Hemi into a TR4 would probably
garnered some interest.   Seems the death of the muscle car was over
stated.  Prices were not only crazy, they were insane.   My opinion, for
what it was worth, is that the B-J is not the place to sell a "furrin'"
car, but if you have  a Hemi-Cuda or a Stovebolt, you can cash in.  Bill