fot

Re: Technical Question-TR3A Axle Conversion to TR4

To: N197TR4@cs.com
Subject: Re: Technical Question-TR3A Axle Conversion to TR4
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:26:04 -0400
At 02:19 PM 8/28/00 -0400, N197TR4@cs.com wrote:

>It unclear, but perhaps the last of the axles were TR4 on the TR3Bs. We have
>received conflicting replies on this information. Anyone know what the real
>poop is on this?

My TR3B (TCF1927, not real late in the '3B production) has a TR3 axle.

>Now for the next observation: If a TR4 axle will fit under a TR3 with some
>changes to spring perch position, have TR4 axles found their way under TR3
>race cars. Seem logical?

I bought and sold a TR3A with a TR4 axle under there... You could make the
tires rub the fenders pushing down on the rear end. I gave the buyer a TR3
axle with the deal! A lowered TR3 with stock fenders would have a tough
time fitting rubber under there.

>Finally, if TR3 racers decide to convert to the new proposed axle assembly
>proposed by stock car specialty machine shop in Quad City area, would it not
>make sense to convert to TR4 axle while they are at it.

Actually, since we are shortening the axle, couldn't a TR4 axle be
converted by Jack's machinist to TR3 length???