fot

Lowering a Spit

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lowering a Spit
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 18:06:59 -0700
I want to thank everyone who weighed in with options on lowering my Spit's
front end.  Today, I went ahead and shortened my springs by another 1.5"
and it indeed had the desired effect.  The frame at the front outrigger is now
4" from the pavement.

However, this was not without other complications.

My muffler is now even closer to the pavement and I await with baited breath to
see if I drag it off at the next event.

A couple of other observations that I made afterwards are:

1.  The front now has additional negative camber, which I think I'll leave for
now to see if it helps.  It is not excessive for a race car and I think
it will help.

2.  It appears that lowering the car also added a bit of additional toe-out.  I
adjusted this a bit to bring it in some, but I would like to ask what
the consensus of the list is on front in toe adjustment.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and comments.  I probably am not finished
tinkering (are we ever??)  In fact, I may yet buy a set of competition
springs.

Regards,
Joe (C)

P.S. I was surprised that the springs are still long enough that they don't
flop around inside the spring perches when the suspension is unloaded!