fot

Re: Lowering a Spit

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Lowering a Spit
From: Bob Bownes <bownes@web9.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 22:40:01 -0700
I need to quote the immortal Andy Banta on this.

"Repeat After Me. 'It is a system. Everything is related. It is a
System'"

Any time you touch *any* tunable parameter in a suspension setup, go
back and look at all the others. You've changed something else. Yes,
even toe.

Lowering the frame by shortening the spring puts the hub higher relative
to the frame than before. Doing so puts your hub in a different position
as far as bump steer goes. If it is the same on both sides, you've
changed the toe. Same argument goes for the camber.

The problem with cutting the springs is, as mjb pointed out yesterday,
you are going to have the wrong spring rate. Racing requires a much
higher spring rate than driving on the street, and autox, even higher
still. (IMHO)

"Its a System."

Took me alot of years to get it through my head, despite the best
efforts of folks like Andy, Scott Fisher, and Chris K.

iii