fot

RE: GT-6/Spitfire brakes

To: <Cwn74@aol.com>
Subject: RE: GT-6/Spitfire brakes
From: "Jim Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 07:51:16 -0500
Externally the rear wheel cylinders are the same and can be swapped around
as desired, the difference is internal diameter.

There were three different sizes (based off the repair kits listed) used
over the years, with the Spitfire and GT6 all three sizes over their
evolution, at least according to Vicky B.

Moss only lists two RWC assemblies for the Spitfire:
 the Mk IV/1500 ('71-'75)  with 15mm bore (Moss part #580-080) and
 the late 1500 ('76 to the end) with 18mm bore (Moss part# 580-090).

The real question is; is it better to have the larger diameter unit(longer
brake pedal travel but higher rear shoe pressure in the drum) or smaller
diameter?

If the rear brakes are TOO effective you can do really neat handbrake type
turns.. great for impressing friends, lousy on the track.

Short answer?  Buy TWO new wheel cylinders from a single supplier (with
matching part #s) and have fun!

Cheers,

Jim
'76 DM Spitfire