fot

RE: GT-6/Spitfire brakes

To: Jack Brooks <brooks@belcotech.com>, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: RE: GT-6/Spitfire brakes
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:21:03 -0700
Actually this doesn't need much theoretical discussion, any book on
braking systems or basic hydraulics, or physics will explain completely.
In a nutshell, Jack is right. The relative area of the pistons determines
the force and travel. In a system with a master cylinder of the same area
as the slave, one inch of master travel equals one inch of slave movement,
one pound of master force applied equals one pound of slave force. If the
master is two times the area of the slave, then clearly the volume of
fluid displaced by any movement will be twice as much, so the slave will
travel twice as far and exert half the force. The converse is also true.

Going to a smaller slave cylinder increases the travel (more fluid to
displace the piston) and decreases the force applied so you have to press
harder to overcome the clutch springs.

Of course most braking systems also include levers which multiply either
force or travel in the same manner--the master cylinder attaches partway
down the brake pedal so the pedal travels farther than the master cylinder
piston with a consequent multiplication of force, and the slave cylinder
acts on a lever that is shorter than the throwout bearing yoke, so a short
distance of slave travel translates into larger movement of the clutch.