fot

Re: GT-6/Spitfire brakes

To: spitlist@gte.net, brooks@belcotech.com
Subject: Re: GT-6/Spitfire brakes
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:10:10 -0700
Joe Curry wrote:

> Think about it this way:  If the master and slave cylinders were the same
>size, the force of your foot would be what is driving the clutch.  As the
> size of the slave is reduced and the master left alone, the resulting
>pressure on the clutch would increase.  Therefore, smaller creates more
>pressure
> in relation to the master.  I can't find any fault with that argument.

Sorry, but that's backwards.  You're right in that if the pistons were
the same size, the force would be equal.  But, if the area of the slave
is 1/2 the area of the master, then it exerts only 1/2 the force applied
to the master.

The hydraulic pressure is the same everywhere in the system.  If the
pressure is 100 pounds per square inch, and the piston area is two
square inches, then the force on the piston is 200 pounds.  If the
piston area is only 1 si, then the force is only 100 pounds.

Randall