fot

Re: Total Seal rings

To: <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Total Seal rings
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:44:27 EDT
In a message dated Wed, 20 Jun 2001  6:41:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Jack W.
Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net> writes:

<< Has anyone on the list had experience with the time it takes for Total Seal
rings to seat?.... >>

I don't know if the following information is of any value or not. :-) For what
it's worth, I did an "in situ" overhaul of the 1147 Hardly Boys RaceSpit 4
autocross car engine five years ago. Said overhaul consisted mostly of new
gaskets, new standard (size) rod bearings, and TotalSeal rings (actually a set
of Grant rings from TRF modified by TotalSeal) on the .020" over pistons. Once
assembled, I ran the engine for about 20 minutes at a steady 2000 rpm. Some
time after that I vaguely remember doing a compression test and finding the
numbers not quite as high as I might have expected, but reasonable and fairly
consistent from cylinder to cylinder. In the very little time I've autocrossed
since that overhaul, the engine has been very strong (at least when cr*p wasn't
being pulled out of the fuel lines by yours truly and/or other willing
volunteers).

FWIW....

--Andy
Andrew Mace, President, VTR, and now very occasional autocrosser