fot

Re: Total Seal rings

To: "William G Rosenbach" <wgrosenbach@juno.com>, <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: Total Seal rings
From: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:50:43 -0700
One of the things I was taught by others of the "old time guys"  is
"NEVER,NEVER use chrome on chrome". In all of the last engines I did for the
TR-4's I used chrome top rings and found that they did not want a long
break-in but responded to a fast run of about five minuets on the dyno at
half speed and power.  In the end to make the most power I found it best to
lap the rings into the bores of the sleeves on the bench then fit to the
block. It's a pain in the neck with pans of gas or whatever but very very
effective.. As this could become another "Spitfire Gt-6 brakes controversy",
I'll shut up now.