fot

Re: Total Seal rings

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: Total Seal rings
From: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:34:39 -0700
Because of a bunch of inquiries on the lapping business, this is what I did.

After assembly of the rings to the pistons and the honing of the sleeves:

I used a mixture of BonAmi and 30 weight oil just gritty, not a paste. I'd
coat the assembled rings with this mixture, insert into the sleeve and give
it ten strokes , remove from the sleeve and dip into a deep pan of gas (or
thinner) and carefully turn the rings on the pistons to remove the brunt of
the compound, then go to 3 more seperate pans of clean lacquer thinner then
finally a bucket with hot soap suds. Blow dry and quickly spray the assembly
with WD-40. All the while being very carful not to "spring" the rings in any
way and of course you do not remove the rings. Remember to number the
sleeves so they match the ring and piston sets. Clean the sleeves in much
the same manner.  This saved a lot of run-in time on the dyno and gave by
far the best performance.