fot

Total Seal rings

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Total Seal rings
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 05:42:08 +0000
Has anyone on the list had experience with the time it takes for Total
Seal rings to seat?

I installed them in my TR4 and ran it at racing speeds for 1-1/2 hours.
Late in the weekend, I had another problem and in the course of
diagnosing it I did a compression check and got 60 psi hot and 90 psi
cold -- less than half what it should be. Upon disassembly of the
engine, the cylinder walls look okay, but the faces of the compression
rings were still a dull gray color instead of the bright color I
expected, with maybe the top and bottom 10% of the ring faces shiny and
the rest the dull gray color of new rings.

The sleeves had been honed at the machine shop, 240 grit, 30 deg cross
hatch, and the break-in oil was natural base 30 wt, not synthetic.

--

uncle jack and New Blue