fot

Re: GT-6/Spitfire brakes

To: brooks@belcotech.com
Subject: Re: GT-6/Spitfire brakes
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:57:47 -0700
Since getting back from my morning appointment, I had plenty of time to read
all the comments submitted from various people (None of which appear to
agree with what I was told by someone who has over 50 years experience with
engines and auto mechanics).

While I see the point that various people are making, I think everyone missed
the real point.

The whole system is built around the premise that the fluid acts like a
variable solid rod and is used to push something out the other end.  Hence,
the answer to the riddle is "You have to exert enough pressure to overcome the
resistance of whatever is being pushed on from the slave cylinder."
And basically, you really don't want all that much pressure because more
pressure required to move whatever it is you are pushing on requires more
pressure on the pedal to initiate that action.  You size the slave cylinder
according to how much pressure you want to exert to actuate the device
that is being pushed upon.

Finally, while everyone's statements are basically correct, the statement I got
from my engine builder also is.  The "System" pressure does increase
if you use a smaller slave cylinder (caused by more pressure on the pedal).  It
has to, otherwise the system would not do it's job.  Absolute
statements made with limited details can obviously provide much room for
controversy.

It has been a refreshing discussion indeed!

Cheers,
Joe (C)