fot

RE: GT-6/Spitfire brakes

To: "'William G Rosenbach '" <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Subject: RE: GT-6/Spitfire brakes
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:54:10 -0500
William G Rosenbach wrote:

>If you have a 1 square inch piston to which you
>apply 10 lbs. of force you get 10 lbs. per square
>inch (psi)...

>If you take the same setup and apply the 10 psi
>to a 0.5 square inch piston you are now getting
>10 lbs per 1/2 square inch which is 20 psi and
>you get 20 lbs. of force out of the system.

Which brings us right back to the beginning and the exact opposite of the
correct answer. Too bad, because we had it right for a while there.

A force of 10lbs per square inch applied to a piston of .5 square inch area
can be written as:

  10 pounds               .5 square inch
1 square inch                   1

[Notice that the units (square inches) cancel, leaving a total force
expressed in pounds]

William G Rosenbach also wrote:

>Hydraulics seem so simple, until you start
>to work with them in the real world...

That has become increasingly obvious as this discussion progresses.

Jim Hill
Madison WI