fot

RE: Phantom Grip LSD

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Phantom Grip LSD
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:23:07 -0400
I am still with Bill on this one, I still do not see how this thing will
safely work long term, especially long term being subjected to the rigors
of racing.

As I see it, you lose traction on one rear wheel and the side gears turn at
different speeds. That will twist the Phantom block riding on each gear in
opposite directions. The Phantom is then going to rub on what? The side
gears or the spider gears? My guess is the side gears. I would hate to
think the blocks are twisting enough to contact the spiders.

They claim it will rub to the extent of locking the diff up. What kind of
heat will you generate as it slips? Probably LOTS. Then what oil do you
run? Synthetic will probably handle the heat better, but will probably be
more slippery allowing more rubbing and more heat...

What kind of loads are you putting on the diff housing? Was the diff
housing designed to take those loads?

The metal on metal rubbing is going to wear, my guess is pretty
fast  (Especially if you hack your gears like in the picture on that MOPAR
website! I sure hope they polish the grinder marks out of that gear before
they install it!!!) The long term effect of pushing your gears outward into
the diff housing until they lock sounds pretty dicey to me.

Most probably fine for the weekend autocrosser and street enthusiast where
an LSD is a nice thing to have and will not be subjected to too much abuse,
but I can't see this being a great LSD for the track.

OK guys, please prove me wrong!