fot

Re: fuel system questions

To: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: fuel system questions
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:53:22 -0600
Rather than an oil pressure cutout switch, install an Accusump.

Oil pressure can drop for reasons other than the engine going south. You
might see a sharp pressure drop in a hard left turn as the oil surges away
from the pickup, but it is only momentary (but enough to kick the switch?)

OTOH, even that pressure drop is ameliorated by the Accusump. And for me
here's the best part: what you said about "assuming that when first cranking
the engine over to start oil pressure would be generated fairly quickly" --
with the Accusump you generate the oil pressure BEFORE you crank the engine
over. My engine runs about 75-80 psi at speed, and the Accusump gives me
30-40 psi (a not uncommon street pressure) before I ever hit the key.

And then, if you still want an oil pressure warning of some kind -- put the
Big Red Light in your dash.

Me -- I don't want some electrical whatsis making decisions like that for
me. I want the information (red light, look at the gauge, assess the
situation) and then I'll decide myself whether to cut the engine.

--Rocky Entriken