fot

Learning to Drive

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Learning to Drive
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 13:20:44 -0600
We had a one hour Enduro at the CVAR race this past weekend.  Bob Kramer
and I decided to share the driving of my car.  Bob is a previous owner
of the car and a more experienced driver, so I thought it would be
interesting to see what he could do with it.  Sure enough, it took him
only about 5 laps to get down to my best lap time after two years of
struggling.  He probably would have gone even faster if the race hadn't
been cut short.  So, I'm wondering how to improve.  I've been through
the CVAR school at TWS and a Stephen's Bros. school at Hallet.  Both of
these schools  showed me "the line" for that course, but didn't explain
"why". I'm sure there are those that have natural instincts for driving,
but I'm not one of them.  I feel like I need to understand a bit more
about the physics of driving.  I've read Carroll Smith's book "Drive to
Win", but it's written for F1 wannabes and didn't do much for me.  Can
anyone recommend books or schools that might help?
Thanks,
Larry Young