fot

Re: Memories

To: "William G Rosenbach" <wgrosenbach@juno.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Memories
From: "Alan Taylor" <atenglish@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 22:47:55 -0500
 The smell of race fuel exhaust in the morning.

OK...That statement got my memory banks in gear.

Being in the middle of the false grid at Road Atlanta for the last SCCA
Runoffs of A Production . There were ten Big-Block Corvettes and something
else (don't remember) When the one minute warning was announced , the sound,
like the Saturn V, was felt more than heard. I could not breath but I do
remember the smell.

The first Walter Mitty Challange . I drove my DB4 to the track and the only
safety requirement was a seat belt. I did not have one and took one out of a
friends car and TIED it in place.

The second Walter Mitty Challenge in which I flat-towed an MGB race car with
A Jaguar MKIX . I threw out the unnecessarys and raced them both. Passing a
white XKE with the Jag on the back straight and all I could hear was the
power steering pump begging for mercy as I went full bore into the dip. Out
from under the bridge on three wheels and later seeing it on video and not
even getting the persons name that filmed it. DUH!

Crewing for AJ Foyt and Darryl Waltrip at the 24 Hours of Daytona. Actually
the 7&1/2 hours for the Nimrods. When the Nimrod broke , Foyt got a ride in
the leading Porsche. As he closed the door he asked if it was a four or five
speed box. No one answered and he said he would figure it out for himself.
By the third lap he set the fastest time and it was raining.

After years of trying , finally getting a GT1 win.There was a blinding
thunderstorm during the race and I was on slicks.

A perfect imprint of a  275  tailpipe in the nose of my E-Type. Whoops.