fot

Re: Tr6 PI and racing

To: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>,
Subject: Re: Tr6 PI and racing
From: "Charly Mitchel" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:35:22 -0700
I run the TR6 PI on my car and the reason is the 1969 SCCA PCS which we have
to abide by for racing within SOVREN.  Kas hit it on the head when he states
about the actual spirit of vintage racing.  Hell, I got a Landrover
discovery that will probably out accelerate my TR6, it might even corner
better.  I know I ran it  competitive against XJS's.
Know for some history on my racing experiences, I ran triple Webers on it
the first year and the competition committee told me that unless I could
prove it has homologated by 1969, I had to adhere to the SCCA PCS for 1969.
I asked Kas (this is what brought me to the FOT) and he stated it never was
and he was the one homologating the TR6 at that time.
I then looked up the PCS and saw SU's & Z-S carbs listed.  I tried both of
those last year and the car was always lacking top end, maybe my cam.  I
also saw listed TR6 PI as an option.  This is what has sent me that
direction.  I think the PI set-up can be made to run very reliable and give
adequate performance for this racing organization.
You would need to understand our group to appreciate this.  Drilled slotted
brake rotors are not allowed since no car in 1969 had them.  Aerodynamics
such as spoilers and ground effects are not allowed either, bur propped
hoods seem to be tolerated.  On why car specification sheet I need to submit
every year, they want to know if the brakes are correct, the wheel and tire
size, the head, the carbs etc, are correct for the car.  I also have to
carry a passenger seat in the car and no gutted interior.  They're also
asking if I have proper ID badging and lights etc on the car.  One of the
clichis they promote is "The cars are the Stars" and this is what our group
is about, not making the fastest car out there, although some still try.
If you'd like to see the rules and regulations we go by I can send the link.
It's at www.sovren.org
Charly Mitchel