fot

RE: Tr6 PI and racing

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tr6 PI and racing
From: "Terry and Cindy" <Roadandtrack2@hypermax.net.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:13:53 +1000
We have used Lucas PI on race cars since it was new. I have experience
with them on outright formula race cars and triumphs

The system off a TR6 or 2.5PI is fine up to a point. The biggest problem
you will have is the pump. Lucas PI pumps were great when new, but are
now mostly stuffed. We use a bosch pump but they produce such pressure
when loaded , that they destroys the TR relief valve. We run 2 modified
Lucas valves in parallel. The other hassle is that in other than flat
out use, there is a lot of hot fuel being returned to the tank. If you
live in a hot are, you will need a fuel cooler in the line. Also, don't
be tempted to run a small tank, as the fuel  gets too hot.

The vacuum control unit is biased to "nice" road car use. For race use
find a "snail cam" arrangement and ditch the vacuum controller. These
were fitted to all the proper Lucas race systems and can still be found.

The Lucas bung seals in the metering unit will not handle many types of
modern unleaded fuel without stuff up. Test one in a sealed jar of the
petrol you use for a few weeks

We have not found much improvement with lengthening the intakes , but
have proven they like a very long snorkel with cold air intake feeding
the plenum box. Basically, the longer the better

A couple of local racers have converted their system to full electronic
with a single throttle body, but none of them have ever found meaningful
power increases as far as I'm aware

Terry