fot

RE: TR3 rack & pinion

To: "'BillDentin@aol.com'" <BillDentin@aol.com>, m-syork@comcast.net,
Subject: RE: TR3 rack & pinion
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:42:31 -0700
Not steering worth a crap is sometimes considered a bit of a safety issue.
I have managed to rebuild worm and peg steering to the point where it isn't
notchy and imprecise--for about three races. If you get a TR3 to really
handle well, the worm and peg becomes one of the limiting factors in getting
around the track. Worth addressing if you don't care about originality, or
worth frequent attention if you do.

My cure for worm and peg (other than replacement) is brazing the faces of
the worm with nickel-silver rod, and carefully reshaping it with a Foredom
tool and a file. The idea is to get nice smooth sides to the groove and no
notches. It doesn't last, but it works.