fot

Re: TR 3 Steering

To: dtalbott@archrepro.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR 3 Steering
From: Fubog1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:36:06 EDT
In a message dated 7/28/2005 12:45:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dtalbott@archrepro.com writes:

but I'm  having a hard time
comprehending how the worm and peg could be quite so  bad, especially if it is
maintained.  I'll admit that my prior TR3  racing experience is many years
past, but I don't recall a great revelation  in steering when I moved into a
TR4.  Sure, they are hard steering and  awkward around the pits, but aren't
most race cars, especially with locked  diff's?   It seems to me that the
steering in almost anything  gets pretty light when you're going fast, so the
question becomes are you  steering or herding?  I'm also a strong believer
that
one learns to  drive around most of this kind of stuff anyway, realizing that
may not be  the fastest approach, but I try to remember that we are talking
vintage  here.

I tend to agree with you & I don't think that there's much question of  which
type is better, R&P for sure... but... some organizations still have  SOME
rules (I think) so that, along with budget, retaining originality, etc  are
good
reasons to leave it as is.
 The old stock worm & sector shaft works fine & a vehicle  really should be
moving whenever the steering wheel is turned anyway. Unless  it's rolling or up
on stands it puts a severe load on the steering  linkage.
The bump steer is often subtle & won't usually get funky until it goes  into
transient & usually at the limit (as has been mentioned, why some cars  are so
stiff). I think that unless the setup is real bad, like  flopping the tie
rods/ends to get the arms/rack nice & straight duh, most  drivers will accept
that particular trait as part of the cars behavior &  adjust driving style,
sway
bars, etc to suit. I believe in optimizing everything  possible to begin with,
including bump steer if possible.
Glen