fot

RE: TR 3 Steering

To: "'Fubog1@aol.com'" <Fubog1@aol.com>, dtalbott@archrepro.com,
Subject: RE: TR 3 Steering
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:52:03 -0700
Actually, there are a lot of tracks where bump steer can stick you into a
wall. Turn one at Pacific Raceways springs immediately to mind. It's fairly
tricky to get a stock TR3 steering system to be tight and responsive. The
linkage to the idler arm needs to be just right, if you're going to raise or
lower the system you'll have to do a lot of fiddling. The stock linkage uses
rubber bushings that are inherently sloppy. You can replace them with BFE's
setup, but even that is a bit wobbly.

There is a LOT of bump steer in a stock TR3 steering setup. So much so that
you have to wonder what the heck they were thinking. Kind of like trunnion
bottom suspension mounts--what the heck is THAT for. Why not just a ball
joint.

I don't really mind funky handling in a street car--you can deal with it,
but in a race car I like things to be as good as they can be. Old cars
really don't handle very well. TR3's and 4's are no exception. Racing is
hard enough without adding handicaps.

I'm a lousy guy to talk about rules, I have a TR3 that no sanctioning body
(well, maybe HSR) will put up with. But If I can get away with it, I'll
always have the best front suspension that I can manage to have, and that
pretty much means a rack.