fot

Re: Overdrive question

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive question
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:50:24 -0400
Uncle Jack wrote:

>Is the "A" superior to the "J" type for racing?

I have no direct experience, but like others, I have heard that
the A is faster shifting than the J.  I have also heard that the
A leaks like a sieve and is more expensive to boot.

The biggest differences lie in the final ratios.  Consider the
following table of final ratios for the A and J given a rear ratio
of 3.7:1

Gear           A          J
-----------------------------
1st           11.62  11.06
2nd            7.44    7.77
3rd             4.92    5.14
3rd O/D     3.92    4.10
4th             3.70    3.70
4th O/D     2.95    2.95

and for 4.1:1 rear:

Gear           A          J
------------------------------
1st            12.87  12.26
2nd            8.24     8.61
3rd             5.45     5.70
3rd O/D     4.35     4.54
4th             4.10     4.10
4th O/D     3.27     3.27

Text-based email is terrible for formatting, so I hope
that these tables look OK.  If FOT moved to a more
modern HTML-based forum, then tables like this could
appear neat and organized (hint, hint).

As you can see, some gear-shifts involve some
pretty snappy (and impressive) coordinated changes
of both the gears and the O/D.  E.g.,  changing from
3rd O/D to 4th; can you pat your head and rub your
tummy AND drive 100 mph at the same time?.

I swear, I don't know how JK Jackson does it in Solo.

Shane Ingate and the Flyin' J in Maryland