fot

overdrive question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: overdrive question
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:28:15 EDT
In a message dated 9/21/2005 12:08:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-fot-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> >Everything I read states the 'J' type is superior.  I've also heard the 'A'
> >type can be built with better parts as such from Jags or other more powerful
> >cars.
> >I run a 'J' type in my 6 and have no problems with it.
> >Charly
> >TR6 #44

The J-type on my Vitesse, with TR6/Dolomite Sprint transmission housing works
just fine. It has slightly stronger springs/pressure and here is my
Triumph-friendly engineer friends take:

"Uprated overdrive parts I would recommend are (1) Uprated (so called
competition) clutch lining material, and (2) Volvo Turbo specification
Unidirectional
clutch/bearing. The competition cone clutch lining has a higher coefficient
of friction and is more stable at higher temperatures. This improves the "grip"
of the clutch and is less prone to slipping with tuned engines. The
unidirectional bearing can also slip hence the recommendation to fit "the best"
even if
it came from a Volvo! You could, of course mess around with the pressure
relief valve to increase the pressure but this will give a very rough/abrupt
engagement and the extra loadings on the internals shortens the life of the
overdrive."

Best Regards

Leon F Guyot

<A